How to Choose a Car Audio System
Your auto audio system is probably one of the most likeable features of your car. Follow these tips to ensure your car audio meets all your needs.
Before Visiting the Store
- Read car audio Pittsburgh magazines. These magazines will give you a good idea of available products and their features.
- Create a prioritized list of the features you want in your car audio system.
- Write down the make, model and year of your car.
At the Store
- Ask a store salesperson to suggest car audio Pittsburgh systems based on your prioritized list. If the choices are more than what you had budgeted for, eliminate features one by one until you remain with at least three audio systems that you can afford.
- Listen to each audio system, using your own music, and select one that produces the desired sound quality.
- Make sure the audio system you choose is easy to operate.
- Make sure everything you need is in the audio system’s packing box. Some of the items that should be included in the package include a car audio installation manual, main plugs, carrying case, sleeve, one or two metal keys and a car audio Pittsburgh owner’s manual.
Choosing Subwoofers for your car Audio Installation
Many people like car audio systems with deep thumping bass. However, most factory stereo systems do not come with subwoofers – speakers that produce deep bass.
Before You Shop for Car Audio Pittsburgh
- Think about your favorite music genre and the reason why you like to listen to that kind of music. The more bass that is in your favorite music genre, the more powerful subwoofers you should get.
- Determine where you will put the subwoofers. Most car audio installation professionals put subwoofers in the trunk of a car. However, specially designed enclosures allow you to put subwoofers under your car seats or in side panels. This is largely dependent on how much space you have as smaller cars may not have the space for larger speakers.
- Decide how much you are willing to spend on car audio Pittsburgh subwoofers.
Selecting the Subwoofers
- Go to a store that sells subwoofers and compare features and prices.
- You may need to buy an amplifier to power the subwoofers.
- Decide the number of subwoofers you want for your car audio installation. This depends on the kind of music you like to listen to and availability of space in your car. One subwoofer is enough for people who like to listen to classical, rock and country while two are more suited to those who like rap, techno and R&B.
- Decide the size of subwoofers you want. Common sizes include 8-inch, 10-inch, 12-inch and 15-inch subwoofers. The larger the speaker, the lower the frequency it produces.
- Decide the type of enclosures you will use for the speakers.
- Consider speaker sensitivity. Speaker sensitivity refers to the amount of sound you get with more power put into the speakers. Higher speaker sensitivity is better.
- Consider the subwoofer RMS. Subwoofers with higher RMS wattage produce better sound quality.
- Consider the cone material. Popular cone materials, from the most powerful to the least, include Kevlar, polypropylene, aluminum and carbon fiber. Avoid speakers with paper cone.
- Finally, choose a good amplifier to power your subwoofers. You want an amplifier with the lowest total harmonic distortion (THD).